Hubert Kairuki Memorial University, HKMU Admission Procedures | Ready to send your application to HKMU? This all you need to know about the HKMU admission process.
Applicants are required to apply directly to the University through an online application portal available at: www.hkmu.ac.tz with a non-refundable application fee of TZS 50,000 or US$ 50 deposit receipt made to the University’ account.
- Students should indicate the school/department of their choice and the duration of their intended stay as per the application form
- Students must stay for the whole period of studies
- No remuneration or financial aid for students is available except for those coming under an exchange programme
- A student will be discontinued on any serious breach of University regulations or irregular attendance.
The Admissions Committee will be presented with short-listed candidates, by the admissions Officer. The final approval for admission will be granted by Senate. Candidates who do not meet the conditions for admission as stated in the Prospectus will be notified after application. Approved students are required to present original certificates for the Admissions Office to authenticate them.
Careful scrutiny will done, confidential report must be brought from the Institution the candidate was previously admitted. Transfer due to discontinuation, disciplinary or poor academic performance will not be accepted. For a transferring student to get the University’s qualification, at least 50% of the training, must take place at the University. Students who do not have transferable credits will have to sit and pass relevant end of semester examinations as matriculation.
Admission of Visiting Students or special admission will operate under the Principle of Academic Credit Transfer. Under this scheme HKMU and the other institutions will communicate and agree on the transfer. Students who have completed one or two years of higher education elsewhere may be admitted to complete the course. For students who are transferring permanently, careful review will be done. Incase of doubt, especially regarding academic performance, the transferred student will be required to repeat the course.
Occasional Students (Electives)
Non-members of the University who wish to carry out elective period attachments at HKMU, will be admitted by approval of the Dean of the Faculty and Chairperson of the department concerned, and upon payment of fees. Such persons are not eligible to take University Examinations.
Application Procedures for Electives
Interested applicants should send a letter of intent to HKMU, with the following attachments:
- A letter of introduction from the current University or College
- Curriculum Vitae
- 2 passport size photographs
- A summary of the objectives of the proposed electives.
Once applications are accepted, students should process Visa and medical insurance from their country . On arrival, they will be required to pay an elective fee of US$400, for four weeks of study duration.The University will help non- East African nationals’ students to obtain class C residence permits (this should be done well in advance, although assistance will also provide on their arrival). Documents required for permit are:
- Photocopy of their passport
- Birth Certificate
- Letter of introduction from their respective Universities
- Duly filled immigration forms
- Five passport size photographs
- A residence permit fee of US$250.
East African nationals (Kenya,Uganda ,Burundi and Rwanda) will have to apply for exemption certificates which are obtained free of charge.
The University understands the importance of diverse cultural experiences to a growing nation like Tanzania. International students are admitted if they have qualifications required of Tanzania students. They must also be English speakers.
The University requires all new students to report to the University, on the opening of the University for the orientation programme. An important programme that will introduce new students to the University’s campus, facilities, staff and regulations.
Students can only be registered after paying the required fees.The deadline for registration for all students will be a month from the opening of the University. A student who fails to register at the beginning of the semester in the time will lose the right to register for that semester.
Documents required for Registration
- Evidence of payment of fees
- Medical Examination Report
- Original certificates and transcripts (Form four & six)
- Original admission letter
- 6 Photographs (4 passport size and 2 stamp size photographs)
- Passport if the applicant is a foreign student and other documents relevant to the processing of residence permits
- Birth certificate.
All applications should be done as directed by the admission office. Applications should be sent to;